We rely on our vehicle's heating system to keep us warm during cold days or nights. We also need it to defrost our windshield when the outside temperature doesn't match the inside. A proper heating system isn't just about comfort, but also is necessary for your safety. If you can't defrost your windshields and your vision is obstructed, you are risking your ability to drive carefully.
You go to turn on your heater and nothing happens - what could be the cause? Here are some of the most common reasons why a car heater might fail:
- Low coolant can prevent your vehicle from producing warm air into your cabin. This is a problem that you want to take care of as soon as possible. If you have a leak or are low in coolant, you risk serious engine damage.
- A blown fuse somewhere in your vehicle can cause electrical problems which can affect your vehicles' ability to produce heat.
- A failing heater core or air pockets in the heater core can cause issues with coolant flowing through the heater core.
- A bad water pump or serpentine belt can also affect the coolant's ability to flow through the engine and cause issues when it comes to your heating system.
- A malfunctioning thermostat can also can issues because if it reads the engine is always too cold, it won't allow coolant to flow, which is needed to produce the hot air.
A bad blower motor can also be the culprit, which just means that air isn't blowing out of your vents.
As explained in the reasons above, while you may be able to live without heat in your car, the reason that the heat isn't working is typically a serious one.
Since the heating system is largely successful based on your vehicle's cooling system, any heating issue should be looked at as soon as possible. A cooling system problem can cause severe engine damage and become costly to repair. When you need car heater repair, don't hesitate to bring your vehicle to John's Auto Care today!