Good vehicle handling is basically your ability to properly steer and control your vehicle. Your vehicle will react accordingly when you turn and keep straight while on the road. There are many different mechanic systems that work together to ensure the right handling, including the wheels, tires, suspension system, and the steering system. The suspension system is typically the most important when it comes to overall handling capability, and depending on the vehicle you own, the suspension system can be supported by your vehicle's computer system for optimal performance.
Proper suspension system maintenance is vital to overall vehicle handling. Here are some of the reasons why good vehicle handling is so important:
- Good suspension makes driving through certain areas safer and more sturdy, such as winding roads or mountainous areas
- Your vehicle's safety is greatly affected by handling; a vehicle will poor handling puts you at greater risk for accidents
- A well maintained suspension system will allow you to receive the best possible fuel efficiency and performance
- Your vehicle's tires will last longer
- You'll save money over time on repairs that can be required due to driving with bad suspension parts
What does good vehicle handling mean to you? Well first, lets talk about what good handling means. Let's look an example. Say you're driving on the on-ramp to a freeway, and this on-ramp has a sharp loop. A vehicle with good handling will be able to easily turn along with this ramp at a moderate speed and merge easily with traffic. A vehicle will poor handling will be a lot harder to control when it comes to this sharp loop and you may feel like you have to slow down to prevent your vehicle from slipping. Your slow speed makes it harder to merge and it makes the situation much more stressful and dangerous.
If you find that your steering often feels like it is "slipping" while turning or your ride is very bouncy and shaky overall, we recommend bringing your vehicle into John's Auto Care for a suspension inspection. Your vehicle's shocks, struts, and other suspension components are vital to the overall driveability of your car and we want to ensure that you receive the best performance from your vehicle.
If you suspect that you need a suspension repair performed, don't hesitate to stop by our shop or give us a call here at John's Auto Care today!